Another Dawn





She is still with us.

My Aunt Norma came over last night after sleeping during the day. My cousin, Doc Emily, also came over for the night shift.  Yesterday into last night, mom never really woke up. She might raise an eyebrow when she heard her name. But she was much less interacting with us and her breathing had gotten slower and more pronounced. 

This morning I woke up around 5:30 and of course my aunt was up and to my surprise my brother-in-law Ken had stayed up. He had also made a 3am run to Kroger for donut holes. My uncle woke up, (he had sacked out on the couch). And before too long my sister came down snuggling the baby. My cousin was laid out on Mom and Dad's bed and would pop up her head whenever we talked about her.  So we all sat around, Norma telling some stories and all of us laughing. The part of Mom that isn't unbelievably medicated, likes all this I think. 

Her breathing is still an effort and has really slowed. We continue medicine that keeps her calm and comfortable. Yesterday she got a full bath, including washing her hair. However, I didn't blow-dry and fluff her hair. So I'm sure I'll get an earful whenever we both are on the same side of eternity. "I can't believe you didn't dry my hair! You know it has to be brushed and fluffed!"

In the time I've been writing this, Dad has come down to hang out with us, Doc Emily is up (wisely saying no to donut holes), Don went back to sleep on the couch and despite repeated urgencies to go get in a bed, Norma has curled up on the floor. We relayed to dad stories about Norma's latest shopping spree, laughing all over again. 

"Well, Sharon," Doc Emily says, "It's another dawn." 

I suppose I should be as distraught this morning as I was the other night. I'm not sure why I'm not. But honestly, this morning feels more apropos. Stories, laughter and family. Mom's favorite things ever. It's a great way to start the day. 


Comments

Popular Posts