She's still in there

Mom may sleep through your visit, but I swear she knows you are there. Sometimes she can't waste the energy to show it, but she knows.

Quickly, first, we did have to give her some morphine today. But she held out till the end of the day. Another huge day of visits. But like I said, she'll nap during them. She's sleeping more and more, she's taking in ice chips. This morning she ate some oatmeal and some applesauce for breakfast. but she is less and less communicative.

However, a couple things happened today to let me know she's still in there and she still knows what's what. My phone rang while I was in the room with mom, taking care of her somehow. So I asked my 4-year old niece, Lizzie, to bring it to me. When mom saw me with the phone she gestured that she wanted to see it, thinking I was video calling Amy and Kiran. So I finished the first call and then video called Kiran. Again, she was overwhelmed with how awesome he is and hollered at him, "Hello Baby! Hello Kiran!!"

we tried to give her more of the powerful laxative because that would help keep her system stronger, longer. It's in liquid form, which like everything, has become difficult to take in. So we got a little rushed or something and she had a massive coughing fit. It's bad when someone you love has a coughing fit they cant seem to get a break from. It's another thing you might have caused it. But when she calmed down I fed her some ice chips and talked to her a little bit. She became very insistent to tell me something. She said clear as a bell, "I'm so happy!" You're happy? She continued to smile, eyes closed of course,."Wonderful!" And she awkwardly reached out to hug me. It was very sweet. And it maybe me feel like maybe we are doing a good job keeping her comfortable.

She definitely perked up for grandchildren. ANy interaction between a grandchild and herself, she smiled. Several people she's smiled for, even though her eyes haven't opened. She knew who they were.

Finally, tonight my cousin Emily, who has a dry sense of humor, tried to tell a joke to mom tonight. Mom was in and out of sleep, but her expression never changed. "That was a joke, Sharon." Mom's face remained the same. I said, "Tell Emily 'I would have laughed it was funny'." Mom smiled. I still make her laugh.

AMy and Ken have changed their flight to come in tomorrow night. Please pray for safe travels, that they both, but especially Amy gets some good time with her still, and as always pray for Peace and comfort for mom.

THanks!!!

FOrgive typos, I'm ridiculously tired.

Comments

Popular Posts