The Problem with being a Corporeal Being is You Have to Leave One Place to Go to Another.

So we enter my last month in Los Angeles.

That's pretty amazing. And scary considering how fast months fly by. But we won't think about that right now.

The past 10 years are so full of ridiculously amazing memories.  From the spectacular like meeting Colin Firth (all tall, beautiful and brown jackety) and meeting Kevin Kostner (I got to hold his Oscar!) to the quiet sunsets at the beach or the top of the hike at Griffith Park where literally everyone stops to watch the sun sink into the pacific, then resumes their conversation. From my first Dodger game, which felt a lot like seeing my first baseball game in color (the field is so green!), to the Underground Thumb War competition under a bridge downtown. Lots of 5-AMs in downtown, or in long beach or Simi valley.


One of thousands of sunrises over crew parking. 


Lots of 6-AMs in Pasadena. Amazing food - Lily's in Venice, Pie-N-Burger in Pasadena, Cafe Was in Hollywood, Tiny Thai in Lakewood, Father's Office in Culver City, the street vendors who sell bacon wrapped hot dogs out side of concerts. Speaking of, an ENORMOUS amount of live music!! John Mayer (pre-douche phase) with only his guitar at the Roxy.  The Frames at the Avalon. Meiko at the Hotel Cafe. Blind Pilot at Molly Malones.

Blind Pilot




 And at my favorite venue, the Troubadour, Rhett Miller, Ingrid Michaelson, Griffin House, Bell X1, The Submarines, Athlete, Airborne Toxic Event and so many more that I will remember later. BB King, Phoenix!!, Sting, Death Cab for Cutie and others at the Hollywood Bowl.  This is just what I can come up with off the top of my head.


The Bridge at Temescal Canyon

I love this town. I don't love the way this town operates or always love what this town values and elevates to success. And no one loves the traffic. But I love it here. I love driving Laurel Canyon down into Hollywood. I love hiking Temescal Canyon. I love driving the PCH particularly in the dark of early morning on my way to a shoot.  I love people-watching at the Abbott-Kinney Street Festival every year. I love biking to Santa Monica for free concerts on the Pier. I love wandering around the Getty off the 405 and standing in the impressionists room moving closer to the paintings then further away to see them go from individual strokes to glorious plays of light and color. I love coffee at the Cow's End and Happy Hour at the Canal Club. I love Bartender Mike at Dan Tana's (LOVE him!!!) and drinks at the Cat & Fiddle.  That's just a fraction of the things I love.

Mike at Dan Tana's



My time here has been a gift.  The thing that makes me sad about moving to Brazil is not being in LA. It's part of the draw, don't get me wrong, to move away and have new adventures in humidity and portuguese. But I feel like I discovered myself as I discovered this town. In a city famous for the fake and the illusion, I became more true to myself and more engaged in the real world here.  And I've only listed things and places. The people here..... My people. Well, that's a whole other blog.

Comments

  1. You have really had you a time! You have loved L.A. more than I did growing up there. (Of course I have to remember -- you have a car! I only had one the last three years before I left at 20.) Thanks for sharing all those "experience" highlights. I hope you write more about it but that was a great splash of L.A. Impressionism. I'm so glad that the same risk-taking adventure-loving spirit that took you there is taking you to Brazil. You will drink all that in deeply as well. Did you ever get a chance to call Rey & Paula? Do it now so you can get together before you fly out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts