What I'm going to do now

This blog has had a couple of different focuses. The first, obviously was as a travel or expat blog. It was the reason for creating the blog in the first place. Corrie Cron in the Amazon and all that. When I returned to the states about a year ago, I used it to talk some about re-entry and the ordinary changes  I was experiencing moving back to my hometown after so long away. Then in the summer, it became a blog about care-giving to a sick parent and then about losing a parent. It's been an outlet for expression, whatever I needed to express about at the time.

Since Mom passed, it's been difficult to blog. My journals have always (from the beginning of time, not just recently) been mostly dull depressing things, because that is what a journal is for: to worry and wonder why you can't ever beat the things you can't seem to beat and to voice your insecurities and complain about the world and how unfair it is. But no one really wants to read that crap. I don't even want to read that crap. Otherwise, this blog would become just a mind-numbing catalog of eating and not exercising and how everything feels really difficult. Everything takes so much energy. (I watched the new really bad Three Musketeers movie on cable because i didn't have the energy to turn the TV off. And it was so bad. That's where we are, people.) And for those of you who would continue to check in and keep reading, your eye-roll reactions would mirror mine:  "Shocking News! Corrie's still grieving!" Someone tweet it to Brian Williams. He won't want to pass up THAT exclusive.

So writing about myself right now sounds kind of like the worst thing ever. For me and for you. I just can't do that to us. We have better things to do with our time.

So I've decided to do something different. I'm going to write short stories here instead. A friend of mine sent me a book recently called the Book of Awesome. It started out as a blog of all the little moments that are just awesome about life. Barefeet in sand. Wearing clothes fresh from the dryer. Waking up and realizing it's Saturday. Things like that. I'm going to take some of the ones that really strike me and use them to inspire short stories. They may not be good. I certainly don't promise that they will be awesome. But my bet is that I will be able to express personal things if I'm writing about made-up people and made-up circumstances.

So that's what I'm going to do. Read at your own peril.

Below is a graduation speech by Author Neil Gaiman that someone had pinned onto pinterest. I have never read any of Gaiman's work so I'm not sure why I watched this in the first place. But it's wonderful! He encourages those he addresses to "Make Good Art", particularly when things are terrible. And I haven't been able to shake the notion. It's a long speech, but I hope you take the time to watch it, particularly if you are creatively inclined.





Comments

Popular Posts